Home Back to Helpful Hints & Tips Back to Computer Specifications & Terms Explained
PRINT THIS PAGE AND TAKE IT WITH YOU SHOPPING. FEEL FREE TO CALL WHILE SHOPPING.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING EXCEPT THE COMPUTER IF I AM SETTING IT UP FOR YOU!
If you are considering purchasing a new computer, please see the free advice below. Last holiday season computer buyers, who spoke to me prior to/or during the purchase process, saved an average of $250.
Decide if you want a Desktop, a Laptop, or an All-in-One (AiO). Then letís go shopping.
When shopping for a Desktop, Laptop or AiO PC use the following guidelines:
1. Do not buy an Intel Celeron or an AMD Sempron Processor
2. Recommend Intel brand over AMD brand processors
(Pentium: Not recommended, a little slower)
3. Minimum 500 GB hard drive. (Call The Wizard if you are looking at an SSD)
4. 8 GB of RAM memory is strongly recommended. More than 8 GB if in budget
5. Do NOT buy a computer with Windows 10 S as it will only run Microsoft Store software. Remember, Chromebooks, iPads, MacBooks, some Surfaces and Windows S devices are all NOT fully functional computers. They are more like tablets with a keyboard than a computer. They only run software provided by the manufacturer of the device. Do not be misled. Call with questions.
6. Laptop buyers: Touch it & like the feel of the keys on the floor model, like the screen size, If you want a web cam or CD/DVD drive, confirm included
7. I recommend Dell & HP. No Acer, Asus, Lenovo
*hp.com orders: slightly increased failure rate observed
8. Local: Office Depot, Staples, Samís Club/Costco if you are a member & need no assistance. (Not crazy about Best Buy due to their return policy)
9. Do not pay more than $599 for a laptop/AiO or $499 for a desktop unless you desire upgraded features: (Touch screen, top speed processor, large amount of memory)
Check local and/or Internet ads and feel free to call with questions. Call while shopping!
Now that you saved all that money, check out my New Computer Special for a truly user-friendly computing experience.
The Wizard makes Windows 10 as easy to use as your old computer!
Please feel free to call anytime with questions, even when a salesperson is trying to up-sell you or tell you something different from above guidelines.
Tim The Computer Wizard
Menu/Pricing New Computer Special Computer Reload Special Utilities & Downloads Desktop Backgrounds The Computer Wizard Story